There are several reasons to remove any and all asbestos building materials;
- Potential buyers might find asbestos a deterrent to bidding on your home;
- A leaky roof with asbestos materials is a major health risk;
- Damage to asbestos roofing can release significant particles that can have a range of health consequences;
- If you are looking to modernise and increase the market value of your home;
- If you wish to decrease the amount of weight on the structure and frame of your house;
- If you wish to install solar panels on your roof;
- Asbestos roofs are generally unable to be repaired if they leak or are otherwise damaged;
- If you want to start using tank water; and
- If you generally dislike the use of asbestos in your family home.
Up until the 1960’s, approximately a quarter of all new homes used asbestos cement in Australia. Asbestos building materials were cheap and durable in the post-war economy. It was not until 2003 that asbestos as a building product was banned throughout Australia. If your home was built before the 1990’s, the chances are that you have materials in your home that contain asbestos.
Asbestos is most commonly used in cement sheeting, though it can be in many places in the roofing structure:
- Roof Sheeting;
- Cement tiles;
- Lining under eaves; and
- Chimney flues.
It is illegal to use asbestos building materials because they present health hazards for the occupants of the building. Normal wear and tear of the roof can release asbestos fibres over time, but with the dispersion of wind and rain, it is unlikely that such a small sample presents a health risk.
Where asbestos roofing does present a serious problem is during any sort of an accident or disaster that might damage the roof – damage to asbestos roofing will release significant amounts of particles that can be cancer causing agents when inhaled.
Most homes with asbestos roofing will ultimately never harm anyone, but they still carry the risk. It’s better to protect your family and have it removed for safer, contemporary materials now rather than waiting for an accident to occur that might release dangerous fibres into your home.
Contact A.M.J Metal Roofing today for expert asbestos removal.