With the wet season drawing to a close, many of you may be starting to notice damage to your roof – and considering whether it’s time to invest in either repairs or a replacement roof.
It is always best to fix any issues with your roof as soon as they appear, so the problem doesn’t worsen or cause internal damages. For peace of mind, A.M.J Metal Roofing provides year-round services.
Damage to roofs in the wet season
Alongside our great Queensland weather with blue skies and warm temperatures, we also have storms which brings with it heavy rainfall, wind and hail. It’s important to be aware of the potential damage this can mean for roofs across the region.
Here are a few signs that your roof may need fixing or that you may need to invest in a new roof:
- Loose or lifting roof sheets. You might be able to hear flapping or whistling sounds when it is windy.
- Signs of corrosion to the roof, flashings or gutters.
- Cracks and holes. Tile roofs require more regular maintenance than a metal roof. It may be possible to have a tiled roof replaced with metal sheeting.
- Mould on interior walls and ceilings: this often means there may be damage to your roof and you’ll want to sort it out as soon as possible to avoid possible health issues caused by interior mould.
- Damage to gutters/drain pipes: you can look for these visually by walking around your house and noting how these elements are functioning – especially when their workload is increased with heavy rainfall.
Preparing for the wet season
Doing any necessary repairs or getting a roof replacement in advance of the wet season will help to give you peace of mind and know that you are prepared for whatever the weather may be.
Make sure you carry out a roof inspection at least once a year – ideally towards the end of the wet season. This is when you’re most likely to see damage.
Once you have identified any issues, you can schedule repair and/or replacement works for the dry season when you should be guaranteed a time period for works to be carried out.
Another great way to prepare for the wet season is to ensure your gutters and downpipes are cleaned of any leaf debris. Excess build-up of leaves and debris in the gutters and downpipes is a common cause of water ingress.
What to expect with a new roof
Find a trusted roofing company to carry out your works. A.M.J Metal Roofing has excellent reviews and a superb local reputation. Speak to us about any questions and queries – we’ll be happy to talk you through the process.
Depending on the size and state of the roof, it can take between 3-5 days for a re-roof but each case varies and we’ll help you to assess your home and needs on an individual basis.
We use top quality materials and generally advise that a Brisbane roof will last between 25 and 30 years. This can give you peace of mind that initial upfront costs are worth the investment.
Learning to look after your new roof or your roof repairs will help to ensure that your roof stays in a good condition for as long as possible. With a good roof in place you’ll be ready to weather any storms once the wet season comes around again.