Perhaps you are looking at the prospect of having to replace your asphalt shingle roof for the second time since you’ve owned your home. Maybe you are building a new home and are trying to determine which type of roof is best for the project. Either way, it’s worthwhile to let your hunt for the best Brisbane roofing solutions to take you towards metal roofing.
At A.M.J Metal Roofing, our contractors specialise in the installation, repair and replacement of metal roofing in the Gold Coast area. We believe that metal roofing has advantages that other types of roofing—from asphalt to clay to plastic polymer—simply can’t muster. With this thought in mind, we have compiled a list of metal roofing’s top benefits.
The Top Five Benefits of Metal Roofing
- They absorb less heat: One of the core disadvantages of asphalt roofing is how much heat it absorbs. In turn, this heat absorption leads to higher cooling costs and higher energy usage. At A.M.J Metal Roofing, our roofing specialists in Brisbane North Side estimate that roofs made from metal materials can absorb 10 to 30% less heat than asphalt roofs. It’s entirely possible to cut cooling costs by a quarter with a metal roof.
- They last longer: If you own a home with an asphalt roof for 50 years, you will replace it at least twice (on the high end) and perhaps as many four times. Between sun, rain, snow, hail and wind, asphalt roofing is simply not built to stand the test of time. Metal roofing lasts longer, with 40 years being the estimate for even lower end materials. Some metal roofs can last for as long as 60 or 70 years.
- They are fire resistant: A bolt of lightning can ignite a fire on an asphalt roof. Metal roofs are more flame resistant, providing higher levels of safety for homeowners and residents.
- They are completely recyclable: Not only will you save money on cooling costs with a metal roof, but you will also have a roof that built from sustainable materials. At A.M.J Metal Roofing, our Brisbane Southside roofing teams frequently use recycled materials in metal roof installations or repairs. In the case of roof replacement or removal, the materials utilised for a metal roof are 100% recyclable—something that you can’t say for asphalt roof shingles.
- They can take a good deal of abuse: Part of the reason that metal roofs can last 40 to 70 years is that they can take a beating. A heavy wind gust can rip shingles off an asphalt roof. Metal roofs can withstand much faster wind speeds without showing any sign of damage. That means fewer repairs, no worries about roof leaks and maintenance costs close to zero.